Throughout the month of September, Tri Delta supports National Campus Safety Awareness Month (NCSAM) – an initiative to encourage public conversation on safety and risk reduction at colleges and universities. We encourage members to take brave, bold and kind actions to promote a safe and meaningful Tri Delta experience.
This week we encourage members to focus on being KIND. Kindness has been woven into the fabric of Tri Delta since our beginning when our Founders’ envisioned a society that would be “kind alike to all.” Today, this vision guides us throughout our lifetime membership experience and helps us establish lifelong bonds of friendship.
Kindness is deeply rooted in who we are as Tri Deltas and it is essential in the discussion of risk reduction. Being kind during NCSAM means:
- Being considerate and assisting others in every possible way.
- Refraining from judging others’ circumstances or casting blame.
- Demonstrating self-respect, self-love and self-control.
- Sharing campus and community resources available for those in need of professional assistance or intervention (e.g., counseling center, sexual assault advocate, alcohol and drug education, etc.).
- Displaying sensitivity to the unknown challenges that others may have experienced.
- Making every effort to eliminate and prevent hazing – a phenomenon that goes against our values of truth, self-sacrifice and friendship.
- Taking actions every day with safety, kindness and risk reduction in mind.
Members of all ages can utilize this calendar of resources for inspiration on how you can demonstrate kindness. This resource, along with other information can be found in the Resource Library > Member Development > Hazing Prevention Resources. This resource will also help you prepare for next week – National Hazing Prevention Week!
Tri Delta believes the safety and well-being of our members is everyone’s responsibility. Together we are one of a kind, and stronger than we could ever be alone. Let’s join together and make prevention and risk reduction an everyday activity – not just one month out of the year.