COVID-19 is an unprecedented crisis that impacts both our physical health and our mental health. In a recent study from the nonprofit organization Active Minds, 89% of college students reported experiencing stress or anxiety as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and research from the Kaiser Family Foundation says 45% of adults report feelings of worry and stress related to COVID-19 have negatively impacted their mental health.
To support all our sisters—collegians and alumnae—during this time of heightened emotions and distress, Tri Delta has expanded our mental health initiative with Behind Happy Faces: Navigating Stress and Uncertainty. The first installment is available now on LEADDDer.org, with more content to follow.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Behind Happy Faces: Navigating Stress and Uncertainty was designed to help members as they face the current climate and the upcoming holiday season. Modules were developed to:
- Provide a definition of “mental health”
- Create a stress management strategy for the upcoming months
- Offer tips for taking care of mental health during this time of pandemic
- Help members plan their approach the holidays
- Teach strategies to address procrastination
We encourage our sisters to take some time to invest in their mental health by visiting LEADDDer.org.
Behind Happy Faces: Navigating Stress and Uncertainty also features the mental health stories of several of our sisters. We are grateful to all who shared their powerful journeys in an effort to make mental health more approachable and provide personal strategies on navigating this pandemic and other times of stress. Follow us on social media to be inspired and educated by their stories.
If you find yourself needing additional resources, or need assistance supporting a friend or sister:
- Call the SAMHSA helpline at 1-800-985-5990 or text “TalkWithUs” to 66746.
- Connect with a professional from your campus.
- Visit mhascreening.org to take a mental health screen.
- Join an upcoming webinar from Active Minds.
- Read more about Coping with a Disaster or Traumatic Event.
- Text HOME to 741741 to connect with a Crisis Counselor.
During this time of uncertainty, it is natural to feel stressed, worried, anxious or angry. Remember that Tri Delta is here, and you are not alone. When we turn to each other and stay connected to our sisters and activities that ground us, we can find the strength and support to get through these times together.
Behind Happy Faces: Navigating Stress and Uncertainty is made possible by a generous gift from Janet Miller, Toledo, and is available to all members on LEADDDer.org.
Questions about Behind Happy Faces can be directed to email@example.com.